The Council for Democratic Elections
The Council for Democratic elections is in charge of the analysis of draft opinions and studies of the Venice Commission in the electoral field before their submission to the plenary session.
The aim of the Council for Democratic Elections is to ensure co-operation in the electoral field between the Venice Commission as a legal body and the Parliamentary Assembly and the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe as political bodies in charge of election observation, in order to promote the international common values in this field – which can also be defined at regional level as the principles of the European electoral heritage.
The Council for Democratic Elections (CDE) is made up of representatives of the Venice Commission, the Parliamentary Assembly and the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe. It has also encouraged the European Parliament, the European Commission, the Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights and also the Parliamentary Assembly of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), as well as International IDEA, to join in its work in an observer capacity. The OSCE/ODIHR participates regularly in this work.
Members of the Council for Democratic Elections (CDE)
- Mr Oliver KASK - Chair
- Mr Srdjan DARMANOVIC
- Mr Aivars ENDZINS
- Ms Janine OTÁLORA MALASSIS
- Mr Richard BARRETT
- Ms Paloma BIGLINO CAMPOS
- Mr Paul CRAIG
- Mr Ben VERMEULEN
- Mr Corneliu Mugurel COZMANCIUC, Committee on Political Affairs and Democracy
- Lord Richard BALFE, Committee on Legal Affairs and Human Rights
- Mr Tiny KOX, Monitoring Committee
- Ms Eka BESELIA, Committee on Legal Affairs and Human Rights
- Mr Aleksander POCIEJ, Monitoring Committee
Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe (CLRAE)
- Mr Stewart DICKSON, Chamber of Regions
- Mr Jos WIENEN, Chamber of Local Authorities
- Ms Dusica DAVIDOVIC, Serbia, Chamber of Regions
- Mr Luc MARTENS, Belgium, Chamber of Local Authorities