Capacity building of the High Judicial Councils of the southern Mediterranean – Interactive seminar organised by EuroMed Justice
Strasbourg – The Venice Commission participated in the interactive seminar organised by EuroMed Justice – a programme funded by the EU – for the High Judicial Councils of the Southern Partnership Countries (SPCs), i.e. Algeria, Egypt, Israel Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestine* and Tunisia. The seminar covered the following topics:
• European standards on the rule of law, independence, and impartiality of justice;
• Best practices and recommendations regarding the role of High Judicial Councils in defending judicial independence, impartiality, and self-governance;
• Current legislative and practical problems in the SPCs regarding the High Judicial Councils’ role, structure, functions and tasks;
• The role of the ECtHR and CJEU in defending fundamental rights.
A representative of the Commission spoke to the participants on the first topic.
* This designation shall not be construed as recognition of a State of Palestine and is without prejudice to the individual positions of Council of Europe member States on this issue.