18/06/2020 - 19/06/2020
The Venice Commission adopted a number of opinions through a written procedure on 18-19 June, in replacement of the actual meeting of 123rd plenary session in Venice that did not take place due to the continued COVID-19 concerns.
The following opinions were adopted by a written procedure:
• Albania – Opinion on the Law no 97/2013 on Audio-visual Media Service;
• Latvia – Opinion on the recent amendments to the legislation on education in minority languages;
• Russian Federation – Opinion on the draft Amendments to the Constitution Federation relating to the execution of the judgments of the European Court of Human Rights;
• Turkey – Opinion on the replacement of elected candidates and mayors;
• Albania - Opinion on the appointment of members of the Constitutional Court;
• Armenia – Opinion on three questions in the context of constitutional amendments concerning the judges of the Constitutional Court;
• Kosovo* – Opinion on some issues with respect to the Draft Criminal Procedure Code, namely trial in absentia and suspension of officials from office
• Malta – Opinion on the legislative changes proposed by the Government to implement recommendations of the 2018 Opinion of the Commission
• Republic of Moldova – Opinion on the Revised draft Law on amending and supplementing the constitution with respect to the Superior Council of Magistracy.
The Commission also adopted the draft Amicus curiae brief for the Constitutional Court of Armenia relating to Article 300.1 of the Criminal Code, and took note of the report on “Respect for Democracy, Human Rights and the Rule of Law during states of emergency - Reflections”.