11/02/2021 - 12/02/2021
Following the request of the Speaker of the Georgian Parliament on 24 December 2020, the Venice Commission in cooperation with the OSCE/ODIHR, is preparing two draft opinions on:
• the draft amendments to the Election Code, the Organic Law on the Political Associations of Citizens and the Rules of Procedure of Parliament;
• the draft Article 79.1 of the Electoral Code (revocation of party registration).
In the framework of the preparation of these two draft opinions, the rapporteurs of the Venice Commission and the OSCE/ODIHR met online with the representatives of the following interlocutors/institutions:
• the Central Electoral Commission,
• political parties, including the major opposition party, as well as with the Legal Issues Committee of the Parliament of Georgia,
• the Ministry of Justice and
• the NGOs.
The adoption of these draft opinions is foreseen for the upcoming plenary session to take part online from 19 to 20 March 2021.
The opinions are prepared under the Quick response Mechanism in the framework of the EU/CoE joint programme Partnership for Good Governance”, co-funded by the Council of Europe and the European Union and implemented by the Council of Europe.