Following the request for an opinion by the PACE Legal Affairs and Human Rights Committee dated 18 December 2020 on the compatibility with international human rights standards of a series of Bills introduced to the Russian State Duma between 9 and 23 November 2020, to amend laws affecting so-called "foreign agents", the Commission’s rapporteurs held a series of online meetings on 7 and 17 May 2021.
First, the rapporteurs exchanged views with the Chairman of the Committee of the Federation Council on Constitutional Legislation and State Construction and with the Chairman of the International Affairs Committee of the State Duma of the Federal Assembly.
In addition, the rapporteurs met online with representatives of the following authorities:
• the Department for Supervision of the Implementation of Laws on Federal Security, Interethnic Relations, Countering Extremism and Terrorism of the General Prosecutor's Office,
• the High Commissioner for Human Rights;
• the Department for Non-Profit Organisations of the Ministry of Justice;
• the Mass Communication Permit Issuing, Control and Supervision Department of Roskomnadzor;
• the Division of Legal Support for Media Activities and Administrative Activities of the Department of Legal Support, International and General Cooperation of Roskomnadzor.
Representatives of civil society and the international community present in Moscow also exchanged views with the Commission’s rapporteurs.
The draft opinion is scheduled for adoption during the 127th plenary session ( 2-3 July 2021).