Professor, Law Faculty, University of Pristina
Qerim is a Professor at the Faculty of Law of the University of Pristina in Kosovo. He teaches Public International Law, International Law of Human Rights, and International Organizations. His past teaching experience includes such other areas as International Economic Law, International Environmental Law, Comparative Law, and Diplomatic and Consular Law. Qerim is also a Visiting Professor at the Faculty of Law of the University of Antwerp in Belgium, where he teaches International Law Enforcement. He is associated with the Law and Development Research Group of the University of Antwerp.
At the University of Pristina, he has served as an Associate Dean for Academic Affairs of the Faculty of Law and as an acting Vice Rector of the University.
Qerim has pursued post-doctoral research at Harvard University and the University of Antwerp, has been a research fellow of the Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law in Heidelberg and is an alumnus of The Hague Academy of International Law. His current research is focused on the interaction of law and policy in the arenas of human rights protection, sustainable development law, and rule of law and global constitutional justice.
Additionally, Qerim has served on various advisory and expert capacities to such organizations as the European Union, the Council of Europe, USAID, DFID, UNDP, IOM, and the World Bank on issues related to the rule of law, development and environmental law, and capacity-building in countries in transition. He has been a member of Kosovo’s legal team in the International Court of Justice’s advisory proceedings in the case of Accordance with International Law of the unilateral declaration of independence in respect of Kosovo, and has also served as an expert before in the World Bank’s ICSID arbitration proceedings.
He is the author of Development in International Law: A Policy-Oriented Inquiry (2012), winner of the Society of Policy Scientists’ Harold D. Lasswell Prize in 2012; The Political Economy of Southeast Europe from 1990 to the Present (2008, co-author); International Law of Human Rights (2015, co-author: textbook in Albanian); The Legal Protection of the Environment (2013), and of numerous book chapters and articles in such journals as Journal of Human Rights Practice, Global Jurist, Law and Development Review, Croatian International Relations Review, International Review of Law, Chicago-Kent Journal of International and Comparative Law, Thomas Jefferson Law Review, Georgetown Journal of International Affairs, German Law Journal, City University of Hong Kong Law Review, Vienna Journal on International Constitutional Law, Asia Pacific Law Review, Transition Studies Review, International Journal of Social Ecology and Sustainable Development, World Review of Entrepreneurship, Management and Sustainable Development, etc.
Qerim also serves as a Rapporteur for Oxford International Organizations (OXIO), a database of annotated documents pertaining to the law of international organizations, and is a member of the United Nations Anti-Corruption Academic Initiative (ACAD).
LIST OF REPRESENTATIVE PUBLICATIONS:
BOOKS & BOOK CHAPTERS
- “Smart Technologies, Human Security and Global Justice” in “Smart Technologies” for Society, State and Economy (Springer Nature Swtizerland, 2020).
- “The Normative Power of Dialogue and Debate about Democracy through Law: Empirical Expressions of the Venice Commission’s Role in Shaping Transnational Constitutional Justice” in Venice Commission: Thirty-year Quest for Democracy through Law (Juristförlaget i Lund, 2020).
- “Global Regulation of Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) as a Climate Change Mitigation Strategy: Prospects, Process and Problems” in Entrepreneurship for Social Change, Emerald Publishing Group (Cole C. Scanlon and B.S. Sergi eds., Emerald Publishing Group, forthcoming, 2020).
- "Imagination, Invention and Internet: From Aristotle to Artificial Intelligence and the ‘Post-human’ Development and Ethics" in The 21st Century from the Positions of Modern Science: Intellectual, Digital and Innovational Aspects, Springer (E.G. Popkova and B.S. Sergi eds., 2019).
- “Human Dignity in Kosovo’s Legal Order” in Handbook of Human Dignity in Europe (Paolo Becchi and Klaus Mathis eds.), Springer International Publishing (2019).
- International Law of Human Rights [E Drejta Ndërkombëtare e të Drejtave të Njeriut] (with G. Zyberi) (2015).
- Development in International Law: A Policy-Oriented Inquiry. BRILL - Martinus Nijhoff Publishers: Leiden and Boston (2012).
- The Political Economy of Southeast Europe from 1900 to the Present: Challenges and Opportunities. The Continuum International Publishing Group: New York and London (2008; with B.S. Sergi).
- “Global Economic Crisis, Social Welfare and Social Disparities in South East Europe: Understanding the Crisis’ Effects on Employment” in The Social Dimension of EU Enlargement (pp. 101-123), Foundation for European Progressive Studies, Brussels, 2014.
- “A Values-Based Approach to Development: Principles of Content of Development, the Right to Development, and Sustainable (Human) Development” (in William T. Bagatelas, Getnet Tamene, David Reichardt and Bruno S. Sergi eds.), Studies in Economics and Policy Making: Central and Eastern European Perspectives, Budrich UniPress Ltd., Opladen & Farmington Hills, MI 2010.
- “Dignity in Transition: The Constitutional and Operational Potential and Limits of Human Dignity Seen From the Lens of Post-Conflict Societies,” International Journal of Human Rights (Taylor & Francis, 2020).
- “Operationalizing and Measuring Rule of Law in an Internationalized Transitional Context: The Virtue of Venice Commission’s Rule of Law Checklist,” Law and Development Review, 2019 (De Gruyter, 2020).
- “The Contents and Contours of Contemporary Cosmopolitan Constitution-Making: Immanuel Kant in the Twenty-First Century,” Global Constitutionalism (Cambridge University Press), Vol. 8, Nr. 2, July 2019, pp. 227-269.
- “’All You Can Do is Pray’: Implications for Human Rights Advocacy of the Absence of Recognizing Ethnic Cleansing as an International Crime on its Own,” Journal of Human Rights Practice (Oxford University Press), Vol. 10, Nr. 3, 2018.
- “Construing Contemporary Cosmopolitan Constitution-Making: A Comparative View,” Global Jurist, Vol. 18, Nr. 2, 2018.
- “The Quest for Operational Priorities: Areas in Need of Strategic Development Intervention,” Law and Development Review, Vol. 11, Nr. 1, 2018, pp. 1-29.
- “United Nations General Assembly Resolution 64/298: Request for an Advisory Opinion of the International Court of Justice on Whether the Unilateral Declaration of Independence of Kosovo is in Accordance with International Law,” Oxford International Organizations (OXIO) 207 (May 2017).
- “Accordance with International Law of the Unilateral Declaration of Independence in Respect of Kosovo,” Oxford International Organizations (OXIO) 223 (June 2017).
- “The Nature and the Scope of the Global Economic Crisis’ Impact on Employment Trends and Policies in South East Europe,” Journal of International Studies, Vol. 10, Nr. 4, 2017.
- “Bridge Over Troubled Water: An Emerging Human Right to Access to the Internet,” International Review of Law, Vol. 2017/1 (January 2017).
- “The Balkans’ Role in the ‘Cool War’: The Ukrainian Crisis and a New Energy Plan to Spur EU Integration,” Georgetown Journal of International Affairs (Online Articles; with B. Sergi), September 9, 2015.
- “Development and Social Development in the Global Context,” International Journal of Business and Globalisation, Vol. 14, Nr. 14, 2015, pp. 383-407.
- “Sustainable Development in International Law: From Origin to Operation,” City University of Hong Law Review, Vol. 5 (2014).
- “The ‘S word’ and Security Council: The Role and Powers of the United Nations Security Council in the Creation of New States,” Thomas Jefferson Law Review, Vol. 36, Nr. 1, 2013, pp. 181-224.
- “A Constitutional Tradition in the Making: The Presidents’ Cases and the Role of Kosovo’s Constitutional Court in the Process of Democratic Consolidation,” Vienna Journal on International Constitutional Law, Vol. 7, Nr. 1, 2013, pp. 49–67 (with V. Qorrolli).
- “The Boundaries of a Neglected Relationship: Corruption and Economic Freedom,” Problems of Economic Transition, Vol. 55, no. 2, 2012, pp. 68-97 (with B.S. Sergi).
- “Technology and Development: Universalizing Access to and Protection of Information and Communication Technology,” International Journal of Social Ecology and Sustainable Development, Vol. 3, Nr. 1, 2012, pp. 1-21.
- “The Effects of Economic Freedom on Institutional Performance in the Western Balkans countries,” International Journal of Business Governance and Ethics, Vol. 7, Nr. 1, 2012, pp.18-36 (with B.S. Sergi).
- “What the Kosovo Advisory Opinion Means for the Rest of the World,” in American Society of International Law, Proceedings of the 105th Annual Meeting (2011).
- “Development as a Universe of Human Aspirations: A New Haven School Perspective,” Asia Pacific Law Review, Vol. 19, Nr. 1, 2011.
- “An Informal World: The Role and Status of ‘Contact Group’ under International Law,” Chicago-Kent Journal of International and Comparative Law, Vol. 7, pp. 117-143, 2007.
- “The Process of EU Enlargement towards South-Eastern Europe: Current Challenges and Perspectives”, South-East Europe Review, 2/2007 (pp. 57-65) (with B.S. Sergi).
- “Fighting Corruption and Organised Crime as a Means of Socio-Economic Development in South-East Europe”, South-East Europe Review, 2/2007 (pp. 81-94) (with B.S. Sergi).
- “The European Union and its Prospective Enlargement to the South-East,” South East Europe Review for Labor and Social Affairs 4/2005 (pp. 15-32).
- “On the Relevance of the EU as a Mean to Spur a Socially Sustainable Southeast Europe,” South East Europe Review for Labor and Social Affairs 3/2005 (pp. 111-120) (with B.S. Sergi).
- “Globalization of Law: The New Rules and Practices in International Law,” 58 Utrecht Journal of International and European Law 15 (2004).
- “Southeast Europe’s EU Integration: Dreams and Realities,” South East Europe Review for Labor and Social Affairs, 4/2002 (pp. 43 – 56).