Born on 24th February 1971, in Chişinău
Judge and President at the Constitutional Court (April 2011 – May 2017);
Lecturer, constitutional law, Moldova State University (2013 - present);
Minister of Justice (September 2009 – May 2011);
Partner Lawyer, Associated Bureau of Lawyers „Hanganu, Tanase si Partenerii" (2007-2009);
Lawyer, Bureau of Lawyers "Alexandru Tănase" (2005-2007);
Juridical Consultant for the Centre of Juridical Studies and Policies (April – June 2005);
Project Manager, SOROS Moldova Foundation, Law Programme (2003-2005);
National Project Adviser for the UNDP Project to support Judicial Development in Moldova (2000-2003);
Project Manager for the Consolidation of the Legislative and Judicial Systems, UNDP (September – December 1999);
Lawyer, Moldova Bar of Lawyers (1999-2005);
Project Manager for the Consolidation of the Legislative and Judicial Systems in Moldova, the UNDP Programme „Governance and Democracy" (1998-1999);
Senior Consultant, the Department of the Governmental Agent and International Relations, the Ministry of Justice (1998-1998);
Independent Juridical Consultant (1995-1998).
First deputy chairman of the Liberal Democratic Party of Moldova (December 2007 – April 2011);
Member of the Parliament of the Republic of Moldova (April 2009 – March 2010, November 2010 – February 2011);
Chairman of the Liberal Democratic faction in the Municipal Council of Chişinău (June 2007 – April 2009);
Chairman of the Juridical Commission of the Municipal Council of Chişinău, Municipal Councilor (2007-2009).
Civic, scientific and cultural activities
- Member of the Governmental Commission on drafting the new Law on the Constitutional Court
- Member of the Governmental Commission on drafting the new Law on the Prosecutor’s Office
- Member of the working group on drafting the Commentary to the new Criminal Code
- Member of the working group on drafting the Law on National Institute of Magistrates of th Republic of Moldova
- Coordinator of the working group on the elaboration of the draft law on private bailiffs
- Coordinator of the working group on the elaboration of the Commentary to the Law on administrative jurisdiction
- Coordinator of the Governmental programme for implementing the European Convention on Human Rights in Republic of Moldova
- Lawyer in the cases Ilaşcu v. Moldova, Meriacri v. Moldova, Amihalachioae v. Moldova, Şarban v. Moldova, Modârcă v. Moldova, Gorea v. Moldova which were successful before the ECtHR
- Author of the National Report on the independence of the judicial system in 2003;
Representative of various media institutions in lawsuits on defamation;
- Coordinator of training programmes of junior lawyers on the ECtHR.
- Author of the report on the legislative framework on privatisation in Moldova;
- Lawyer within the World Bank in the field of insolvency;
- Local consultant of Raiffeisen Investment AG, Price Water House Coopers and Muşat & Asociaţii regarding the privatisation of MOLDTELECOM company.
- Profound changes in the legal system: The Constitutional Court of the Republic of Moldova made it possible for every litigant to raise the exception of unconstitutionality // Transformation of law systems in Central, Eastern and Southeastern Europe in 1989-2015. Liber amicorum in honorem prof. dr. dres. H. c. Rainer Arnold. Gdansk University Press, Gdansk, 2016, p. 411-422.
- Relations of the Constitutional Court with the Parliament and the Government. Role of the Constitutional Court in settling ”the conflicts” among the authorities.// International Conference ”Relations of the Constitutional Court with Other Public Authorities”, Publication of the Constitutional Court of the Republic of Moldova, Chișinu, 2016, p. 167-178.
- Constitutional Identity of the Republic of Moldova// Bulletin of the Constitutional Court of Lithuania Nr. 4(40) 2015
- The role of the Constitutional Court of the Republic of Moldova in strengthening the independence of judicial power // International almanac. Constitutional justice in the new millenium, ISSN 1829-0124, Armenia, 2015, p. 141-145
- Role of Constitutional Justice in Protecting the Rule of Law// International Conference dedicated to the 20th Anniversary of the Constitution of the Republic of Moldova, publication of the Constitutional Court of the republic of Moldova, Chișinău, 2015, p. 9
- History, ethnicity and double citizenship// International Conference “European Union’s History, Culture and Citizenship”,publication of the University of Pitești, 2015. (in Romanian)
- Value of the Constitution as fundamental source of law in a democratic state // Collection of articles, Astana, 2015, p. 112
- ”Red Line” between the freedom of expression and right to private life // Limits of the freedom of expression. Politicians, journalists, magistrates. Ed. Hamangiu 2014, p. V-VIII (in Romanian)
- Human Dignity as a Constitutional Value // International almanac. Constitutional justice in the new millenium, ISSN 1829-0124, Armenia, 2014, p. 180-187
- Prior review of constitutionality of laws // Bulletin of the Constitutional Court of Romanian, 2013, no.2, p. 7-12 (in Romanian)
- Procedure before ECHR (2000) – author;
- Jurisprudence of the Court of Appeal – coordinator of edition;
- Offences hindering the enforcement of justice – coordinator of edition;
- Juridical regime of intellectual creation – coordinator of edition;
- Access to Justice (1999) – co-author.
Author of a number of political and scientific articles in different publications focused on the protection of human rights, independence of justice and democracy in Moldova.
Experience in organisation and management of legal assistance projects;
Knowledge of the history of law and traditions of former USSR, as well as of current legal and economic developments in CIS and East European states;
Experience in reformation process in the field of human rights in Eastern European states and CIS;
Experience in international cooperation and in coordinating foreign assistance;
Experience in cooperation with the Council of Europe and ECtHR.
Membership in professional associations
Moldovan Bar Association;
International Association of Constitutional Law (IACL).
Doctor Honoris Causa of the University ”1 December 1918” of Alba Iulia, Romania (2014)
Bachelor of Law, University “Alexandru Ioan Cuza”, Iasi, Romania (1994);
Criminal Defense Techniques (American Bar Association, 2004);
Training trainers on the implementation of the European Convention (Council of Europe and European Commission, 2005);
Decorated with ”Ordinul de Onoare” (Medal of Honour) by the Decree of the President of the Republic of Moldova no. 1950 of 24.02.2016
Romanian (mother tongue), English, Russian.
Family status: Married, 2 children.