Recent and Current Events
By letter of 7 October 2019, M. Turcan, the President of the Constitutional Court of Moldova, requested an amicus curiae opinion of the Venice Commission concerning a pending application which challenges the constitutionality of some provisions of the Law on the Prosecutor’s Office.
11.10.2019 - 12.10.2019
Venice, Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista - The Commission
- Held an exchange of views with Mr Taulant Balla, member of the Assembly of Albania, and with Ms Ilda Zhulali, Adviser to the President of the Republic of Albania, and adopted the opinion on the scope of the power of the President to set the dates of elections, previously jointly examined by the Sub-Commissions on Democratic Institutions and on Latin America as well as by the Council for Democratic Elections on 10 October 2019;
- Held an exchange of views with Ms Klothilda Bushka, member of the Assembl... read more
66th meeting of the Council for Democratic Elections
Venice, Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista
Venice - At the occasion of a visit of a delegation of the Conference of African Constitutional Jurisdictions and the President of the Constitutional Court of Mongolia, the Venice Commission organised an Informal Exchange on Constitutional Justice between these delegations and its members on the topic of the relations between constitutional courts and parliaments.
The Monitoring Committee of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe requested the opinion of the Venice Commission on the recent amendments to the legal framework in Ukraine governing the Supreme Court and judicial self-governing bodies.
Tunis - The Venice Commission organised a seminar on the institutional communication of Tunisian independent bodies entitled "Tunisian independent bodies: the keys to a successful communication policy".
The seminar met the needs of independent bodies to improve visibility and structure their communication in their day-to-day relations with civil society, other state bodies, the authorities, the private sector, and the media. The seminar also reflected on the need and the form of coordination between the various bodies in the field of communication. Recommendations were formulated ... read more
By letter of 24 September 2019 the Minister of Justice of Bulgaria Mr D. Kirilov requested an opinion of the Venice Commission on the draft amendments to the Code of Criminal Proceedings concerning criminal investigations against top magistrates.
Election observation and electoral dispute resolution – OSCE/ODIHR seminar
Vienna – The Venice Commission will take part in an OSCE/ODIHR seminar on election observation and electoral dispute resolution.
The seminar will review OSCE commitments and international obligations of the OSCE member States as well as other standards for democratic elections with a focus on electoral dispute resolution.
25.09.2019 - 26.09.2019
Ljubljana – The Venice Commission is invited to participate in the 28th Annual Conference of the Association of European Election Officials (ACEEEO). The topic of the event is “Judicial protection of electoral rights and the transparency of elections”.
The annual conference focuses on the following issues of protection of electoral rights:
- best practices of the EMBs' dialogue with other stakeholders;
- most effective ways of the cooperation between the EMBs and the courts;
- practical aspects of transparency of elections from the perspective of the EMBs.
Follow the Venice Commission on @VeniceComm !
Stay abreast of key Constitutional Courts' judgments!
e-Bulletin, 3 issues a year.
Read current issue