Recent and Current Events
I am worried about the worsening situation within the Constitutional Tribunal of Poland. Following the attempts to influence the work of the Tribunal by means of legislative amendments, which were criticised by the Venice Commission, practical steps are now taken with the apparent aim to ensure that the Tribunal act in accordance with the will of the current political majority:
• The new President of the Tribunal was elected on the basis of a questionable procedure;
• The new President delegated her powers to another judge who was elected on a legal basis that had been f... read more
The Constitutional Council of Djibouti joined the World Conference on Constitutional Justice, which now has 104 members.
Slovakia – request for opinion
The President of the Slovak Republic requested the Venice Commission’s opinion on questions related to the appointment of judges to the Constitutional Court.
Paris - During its meeting in Paris on 14 December 2016, the Monitoring Committee of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe decided to request an opinion of the Venice Commission on the draft law on the amendments to the Constitution of the Republic of Turkey.
09/12/2016 - 10/12/2016
- Paid tribute to the late Mr Boualem Bessaïh, member of the Venice Commission in respect of Algeria;
- Elected Ms Jasna Omejec as Co-Chair of the Joint Council on Constitutional Justice and Chair of the Sub-Commission on Constitutional Justice, following the non-renewal of the term of office of Mr Tanchev;
- Noted on the proposal of the Bureau that the substitute member of the Kyrgyz Republic is no longer able or qualified to exercise his function as substitute member of the Venice Commission;
- Adopted the amicus curiae brief for t... read more
09/12/2016 - 12/12/2016
Skopje - A delegation of the Venice Commission accompanies the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) delegation to advise on the legal framework of the early parliamentary elections scheduled on 11 December 2016 in "the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia". The PACE delegation is to observe the opening, voting and counting processes of the early parliamentary elections.
Venice - The Venice Commission of the Council of Europe in co-operation with the International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (IDEA) and with the International Association of Constitutional Lawyers (IACL-AIDC) organised an international Conference entitled “Global Constitutional Discourse and Transnational Constitutional Activity”.
Turkey - request for an opinion on the measures provided in the recent emergency decree-laws with respect to the freedom of the media.
02/12/2016 - 08/03/2017
At the request of the Committee on Political Affairs and Democracy of PACE, the Venice Commission will prepare an opinion on the effects on the freedom of the media of the recent measures taken within the state of emergency. The opinion will be presented at the March 2017 Plenary Session in Venice.
The Supreme Tribunal of Monaco joined the World Conference on Constitutional Justice, which now has 103 members.