Paris – a delegation of the Venice Commission visited France to discuss with the authorities recently proposed constitutional amendments on the state of emergency and deprivation of nationality. The visit took place in the framework of the preparation of the opinion requested by the PACE on 28 January 2016 on the compatibility of the draft revision of the French Constitution with the Council of Europe standards.
The delegation met representatives of the State Council, the Constitutional Council, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Interior, Office of the Prime Minister and members of the National Assembly.
The delegation was as follows:
- Mr Gianni Buquicchio (Italy), President of the Commission
- Ms Hanna Suchocka (Poland), First Vice President
- Ms Regina Kiener (Switzerland), Member
- Mr Nikos Alivizatos (Greece), Member
- Mr Jan Velaers (Belgium), Member
- Ms Simona Granata-Menghini, Deputy Secretary of the Commission
The draft opinion was prepared and submitted for adoption by the next plenary session of the Venice Commission which takes place on 11 and 12 March 2016 in Venice.
For press contacts: Mr Panos KAKAVIATOS, Tel +33 (0)3 90 21 50 27; email: [email protected]