19/04/2016 - 20/04/2016
Ankara – In the framework of the preparation of an opinion on the regulation of publications on the internet and combating crimes committed by means of such publication, a delegation of the Venice Commission visited Turkey on 19-20 April 2016.
The delegation met with the representatives of the following Turkish authorities: the Ministry of Transport, Maritime Affairs and Communications, the Telecommunication Communication Presidency, the Union of Access Providers, the Court of Cassation, the Union of Turkish Bar Associations, the Ministry of Justice, the Prosecutor’s Office, Peace Courts’ Judges and the Constitutional Court.
The delegation composition was as follows:
• Ms Herdis KJERULF-THORGEIRSDOTTIR, Vice-President of the Commission, Iceland;
• Mr Pieter van DIJK, Former Member of the Commission, State Councillor, the Netherlands;
• Mr Wolfgang BENEDEK, Expert, University Professor, Graz University, Austria;
• Ms Karmen TURK, Attorney at law, Estonia;
• Ms Simona GRANATA-MENGHINI, Deputy Secretary of the Commission;
• Mr Ziya TANYAR, Legal Advisor, Division of Democratic Institutions and Fundamental Rights, Secretariat of the Venice Commission.
The opinion was requested by the PACE following its Resolution 2035(2015) on the protection of journalists and of media freedom in Europe and will be discussed at the June 2016 plenary session.