In the framework of the preparation of the draft opinion on the Law on National Minorities (Communities) of Ukraine, the Venice Commission’s rapporteurs held a series of meetings with the Ukrainian stakeholders.
On 31 March 2023 the rapporteurs met in Strasbourg with:
• the Head and the Deputy Head of the State Service on Ethnopolitics and Freedom of Conscience;
• the Deputy Minister of Education and the Head of Main Department of General Secondary and Preschool Education.
On 20 April 2023 online meetings were held with the representatives of the following interlocutors:
• Parliamentary Committee on Human Rights
• Constitutional Court of Ukraine
• Council of the national minority NGOs at the Ministry of Education of Ukraine
• Government Office for the Coordination of European and Euro-Atlantic Integration
• Ombudsman office
• Congress of Ethnic Communities
• Hungarian, Roma and Romanian communities as well as with the World Congress of Rusyns
In addition, on 27 April 2023 - on the sidelines of the PACE April 2023 session - the Venice Commission’s rapporteurs met with the Ukrainian delegation to PACE.
The draft opinion will be submitted for adoption by the 135th plenary session (Venice, 09-10 June 2023).