07/12/2023 - 08/12/2023
Cologne, Germany – The Venice Commission and the Academy for European Human Rights Protection will hold an international conference entitled “Money and Democracy – an Uneasy Relationship”.
The event will bring together Venice Commission members, politicians, academics, representatives of international organisations and journalists from various countries. The conference will explore ways in which undue influence of big money on democratic decision-making may be exposed, monitored, contained or even prevented.
The following topics are on the programme:
• The money behind good and bad intentions: How to distinguish? A political perspective;
• The problem of oligarchisation;
• Big money in politics: Lobbying and the financing of political parties and election campaigns;
• Foreign influence over democratic decision-making;
• The money behind the media.